Olga Yaméogo was born in 1966 in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. She moved to Toulouse in 1982. With a creative energy since childhood, she is convinced of the saving and liberating dimension of art. Olga Yaméogo first studied art therapy before focusing on artwork. Her beginnings as a painter coincided with the affirmation of a rediscovered freedom.
Through her paintings, she captures contemporary history marked by massive flows of populations forced to emigrate. By choosing the portrait, the painter replaces the individual at the center of this history.
According to Édouard Glissant, interbreeding produces the unexpected leading to new creative possibilities. Inspired by this thought and aware of the cultural wealth ofher identity gathering France and Africa, Olga Yaméogo transposes this encounter of cultures into her work. Her palette mixes ochre tones reminding the soil of the Africa of her childhood and blues and pastel evoking the atmosphere of the Toulouse region.
The bright and delicate silhouettes extend over intense backgrounds to compose portraits tinged with great humanity. The themes the artist chooses are closely related to her personal history and experience but beyond the intimacy, her paintings question,the world and its dynamics. Migration, body and identity are all themes that Olga Yaméogo takes up to depict different aspects of globalization.
- 1999: Espace Saint Jérôme (collective), Toulouse.
- 2003: Africajarc, Cajarc.
- 2004: Musée des Arts derniers, Paris.
- 2008: Prix Senghor (collective), Musée de la Poste et musée du Montparnasse, Paris.
- 2012: Paroles indigo, Espace Van Gogh, Arles.
- 2012: Art en vrac, Salies-de-Béarn.
- 2015: L’Art pour la paix, UNESCO (collective).
- 2018: Paroles indigo Espace Van Gogh, Arles.
- 2020: AWA / African Women Artists (collective), Art-Z, Paris.
- 2021: Werké, marché d'arts contemporains de Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
- Also Known as Africa, Portrais de Femmes, Carreau du Temple, Paris. Represented by the Galerie Véronique Rieffel.
News: Also Known As Africa AKAA 2021
Werké - 2e édition - marché d'arts contemporains de Ouagadougou
From June 1st to 6th
For the second edition of WERKE, Olga Yameogo was the guest of honour.