Lives and works in Paris.
Born in 1991, Johanna Mirabel is a French artist of Guyanese and Caribbean origin who graduated from the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris.Through her works of painting and sculpture, the artist develops a search for representation that oscillates between abstraction, expressionism and realism. These quiet scenes merge different stories and memories by composing images where spaces interpenetrate, perspectives are false and overlap. By using lush vegetation, partially present and disparate objects, she stages contradictions and juxtapositions that evoke the complexity inherent in life between several cultures.Inspired by the lyrical Creolization of Édouard Glissant, her work develops pictorial forms which always seem to be in motion and in which the characters - the artist or those close to her - find themselves, for their part, embedded, nested or ready to merge in their changing environment. Navigating between painting and sculpture, Johanna Mirabel invites us to inhabit her paintings, to explore them mentally as parallel realities. A world that is neither so close to reality, nor so far away.
- Brut de forge, collective exhibition, Villa Belleville, artistic residency, Paris
- AKAA Art & Design fair, Also Known As Africa, represented by Véronique Rieffel Gallery, Paris, France.
- «Emancipated Imaginaries», curated by Armelle Dakouo, Manifesta, Lyon, France.
- «Home Perspectives», curated by ICART, Mayfly Gallery, Paris, France.
- «Young Dreams», Aout Gallery, Beyrouth, Lebanon.
- AKAA fair, Also Known As Africa, represented by Véronique Rieffel Gallery, Paris, France.
- «Paris Hidden Side», L’Orfèvrerie, Saint-Denis, France.
- «Imaginary Jails», La Conciergerie, Paris, France.
- «Embedding Artifacts», The Hoax Gallery, Milwaukee, USA.
Honours and awards
- 2020 Nominated for the Prize Sisley-Beaux Arts de Paris 2020 for youthful contemporary creation.
- 2019 Takifuji International Award, Winner of the Prize of Excellence and the Grand International Prize, Tokyo, Japan.
Studios and residencies
- Villa Belleville, Paris
2020 - 2021
- L’Orfèvrerie, Seine-Saint-Denis.
- The Bench, Montrouge, France.
- Artists Residency, Saint-Laurent du Maroni French Guyana, South America.
Rencontre avec Johanna Mirabel
"La végétation m’intéresse pour créer ce trouble dans la narration mais aussi pouraborder de la question de l’environnement. Le foyer, l’espace intérieur, peut-être appréhendécomme une sorte de microcosme. C’est peut-être à cette échelle là que l’on commence à abordercette relation à l’environnement."
Johanna Mirabel, 8 mars 2021, Saint-Denis
Brut de forge, collective exhibition, Villa Belleville, Paris
27/11/2021 : 14h - 16h, vernissage : 18h
28/11 & 30/11/2021 : 14h - 19h
20 rue Ramponeau, 75020 Paris